Preventive Dentistry: Let’s Master It Together!
Your teeth play an important role every single day. They make a beautiful smile, helping you to communicate quickly. (Did you know you can see a smile from the distance of a football field?!) Your teeth also enable you to chew food and speak clearly. They also give your face its distinctive shape and the confidence you carry throughout the day.
A healthy smile will not only transform your visual appearance and your mindset, but it will also improve your oral and overall health. This is why preventive dentistry is as important as caring for your teeth every day with your attentive home care routine.
To maintain optimal oral health, our dental association recommends visiting us, your dentist in Toronto, at least twice annually – or more depending on your individual needs. This will ensure that your teeth are clean and healthy, as well as esthetically pleasing.
What is preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is a means of intercepting damage to your teeth and mouth due to decay, gum disease, oral cancer, cracks, infection, and more.
Preventive care includes:
- regular homecare (brushing twice a day and flossing once a day)
- regular professional dental visits
- thorough professional cleaning
- repair of chips or cracks when they’re small
- decay intervention
- oral cancer checks
- gum disease diagnosis & treatment plan
- receiving, accepting, and implementing dental care information and tips from us, your dentist in Toronto…
- brushing & flossing instruction
- wearing a mouthguard when playing sports that have the chance of impact to your teeth (hockey, basketball, in-line skating, football, soccer, etc.)
- wearing a nightguard to prevent damage from bruxism (grinding and clenching)
- not using your teeth as tools